Your rights

Home » Resident services » Your tenancy » Your rights

Whether you’ve just moved in to your home or you’ve been living there for years, you have certain rights in law.

You will either be in a secure or an assured tenancy, giving you security of tenure in your home. This means you cannot be told to leave your home unless a Court agrees.

If you are on a fixed tenancy, then you will have the right to remain in your home for the length of that tenancy: it’s usually for five years.

Click on the headings below to find out more information about your rights as a Family Mosaic tenant.

Changing your tenancy

If we plan to change your tenancy agreement, we will write to you explaining what we propose to change. And we’ll ask for your views.

We will then consider your comments before making any changes.

At least 28 days before these changes happen, you will be sent what’s called a Notice of Variation. This will explain how the tenancy agreement will change and when this will happen.

Changing your rent

Occasionally, we will need to increase your rent. We will send you a letter informing you about this at least 28 days before this happens.

If you are a secure tenant, then you have the right to refer any rent or service charge increase to the Rent Officer service.

Your right to information

We are committed to:

  • keeping you informed about our policies and procedures
  • letting you know how we perform as a landlord, please visit Our Performance page for the latest information
  • giving you information about our responsibilities to you and your responsibilities as a tenant, please visit the Your Responsibilities page for more information
  • ensuring all residents have equal access to information
  • treating information we hold about you with care
  • correcting information that is wrong
Accessing your tenancy records

You have the right to see your tenancy file. Information from third parties will, however, be removed.

Security of tenure

As a housing association tenant, you have security of tenure. This means that you cannot be told to leave your home unless we get an order of possession from the courts.

You cannot be evicted from your home without a court order.

Before we begin legal action, we will make every effort to give you advice and support to resolve the situation. If we are going to take legal action, we will always give notice of our intention in writing.

If you are on a fixed term tenancy, your security of tenure is limited to the length of your fixed term, which will usually be six years.

Inheriting a tenancy (succession)

If a resident dies, then someone else may inherit their tenancy.

This depends on:

  • whether the tenant is a joint or sole tenant
  • the type of tenancy – assured or secure
  • whether they succeeded the tenancy themselves when someone died

There are three possibilities:

  • if you’re joint tenants, the surviving joint tenant will inherit the tenancy
  • if you’re married or in a civil partnership, your partner will automatically take over the tenancy and the right to stay in your home, provided they were living with you at the time of your death
  • if you’re a secure tenant, your surviving partner or some other members of your family (children, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces), will be entitled to take over the tenancy, provided they have been living with you for the previous 12 months

If you want to apply to succeed to a tenancy, then you must phone us on 0300 123 3456 within one month of the death of the tenant. You will need:

  • a copy of the tenant’s death certificate
  • evidence that you have been living with the tenant for the required period
  • details of everyone else living there

You can find out more information in our Tenancy Succession leaflet here.

Taking in a lodger

Are you thinking of renting out your spare room? As a Family Mosaic tenant or leaseholder you may have the right to take in a lodger or sub-tenant.

In this leaflet we hope to explain the difference between lodgers and sub-tenants, provide information on whether or not you are eligible to take them into your home, and advise on the next steps for you to take.

Your right to make a complaint

We do our best to give you a good service, but sometimes we get it wrong.

We may not always know when this happens, so please tell us.

Call us on 0300 123 3456.

Or find out more about making a complaint on our Make a complaint page.

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing