Home » Resident services » Repairs

Keeping your home in the best possible condition is a top priority for us.

We offer an extensive range of repairs services to make sure that you make the best out of your home.

Report a repair


MyAccount is the easiest and fastest way to report your repair online. The service is available 24 hours a day and you can also use it to see a history of your repairs, pay your rent, update your information and much more. MyAccount can be accessed from any internet-connected device such as your phone, tablet or computer. It is a free service available for all Family Mosaic residents. Register today for immediate access and start managing your home with us online.


To report a repair by email, please click here to email us.


Call our Customer Care Line on 0300 123 3456 if you are a tenant or on 0300 123 2209 if you are a leaseholder.


To report a repair using Housecall, please click here.

When will my repairs be fixed?

Emergency repairs: we’ll repair or make safe within 24 hours


  • total loss of electric power
  • an unsafe lighting socket or electrical fitting
  • total loss of lighting
  • partial loss of power but only when it is a danger to health and safety, for example power loss effects essential equipment such as a stair lift or a nebuliser


  • total loss of water supply
  • toilet not flushing (when there is no other toilet at the dwelling)
  • internal leaking or burst pipes (only when the tenant cannot control the leak and there is a danger to the property and/or belongings)
  • burst tanks or cylinders
  • loss of water heating (between 31st October – 1st May)


  • total or partial loss of gas supply


  • no central heating (between 31st October – 1st May)


  • blocked or leaking foul drain or soil stack
  • blocked flue to open fire or boiler
  • blocked WCs
  • blocked sink, bath or wash hand basin (in multi-storey blocks only)
  • blocked refuse chutes in multi-storey blocks


  • insecure external window, door or lock
  • locked out (may be chargeable)
  • gale, fire, flood or explosion damage

Next available repairs: we aim to fix within 35 days


  • partial loss of electric power


  • partial loss of water
  • taps which cannot be turned
  • leaking pipe work or waste pipes
  • loss of water heating (between 30th April – 1st November)


  • blocked sink, bath or wash hand basin (except in multi-storey blocks)


  • rotten timber flooring or stair tread
  • door intercoms not working
  • extractor fans in kitchens or bathrooms
  • glass replacement
  • leaking roofs
  • floorboards (small repairs)
  • internal door repairs (not replacement)
  • air vents / bricks
  • small plastering repairs (plaster patch)

More about repairs

Gas servicing

Over 15,000 of our homes have gas appliances. We have to service them every year.

As well as keeping you, your family and your neighbours safe, a serviced boiler will save you money on your gas bills.

Find out more
There is no charge for this service.

When your next gas check is due, you’ll hear from our gas contractors: please make sure you keep this appointment.

Very occasionally, people refuse to let us service their gas appliances: we then have to take them to court. We’ve even had to evict people because of this.

We don’t like to do this, but a faulty gas appliance could be a death sentence.

Call us on 0300 123 3456 if you want to book a gas safety check.

Servicing gas appliances

We are legally required to service all gas appliances that we are responsible for, within your home once a year.

For example: boilers, water heaters, and gas fires (if we have fitted them). This is in addition to any repairs you may ask us to carry out if they break down.

Find out more
A team of qualified engineers carry out these services throughout the year. They will contact you to agree an appointment to carry out the work. You will be issued with a certificate to confirm the service has been completed.

A poorly maintained gas appliance can be very dangerous. It is very important that you agree  an appointment with us for our operative to carry out an annual gas safety check in your home.

If you do not provide access we will take legal action to gain entry to your home and carry out the work.

Gas leaks

If you smell gas, turn off all gas appliances immediately, open windows and put out all naked flames. Turn off the gas supply by turning the handle that is next to your gas meter.

If you smell gas ring the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

Making gas services safer

We work with an organisation called Gas Advisory Services to make sure that all gas works, such as repairs to your boilers, are carried out safely, within the law and to high quality standards.

They give us important feedback on how our gas services can be improved, and also offer advice on how you can be more energy efficient and reduce your energy bills.

Find out more
It is important that you help us to make sure that we continue to provide safe and high quality services by giving Gas Advisory Services access to your property when necessary. If you receive an appointment letter from Gas Advisory Services, and you cannot make the time, please call them on 01322 331 312 to rearrange.

Gaining access in emergency situations

In emergency situations we may need urgent access to your property.

We will only force entry without tenant consent when there is a real threat to the safety of a person
or a risk of serious damage to our or another party’s property. We will always consider all health and safety risks.

Find out more
Forced entry without permission is always a last resort and will only be used in extreme circumstances.

Examples of this include:

  • water leaks and flooding
  • suspected gas leaks where the safety of occupants is at risk
  • to comply with our legal obligations as your landlord

Where access is denied we may seek access through a court injunction

We will always attempt to contact you in the first instance by phone or letter depending on the urgency of the situation. It is therefore very important that all your contact details are up to date and we have a range of phone numbers that we can contact you on, as well as a valid email address.

If we cannot contact you and we have forced entry we will make sure your property is secure and contact you to make arrangements to pass on the keys.

Find out more
If we cannot contact you we will leave a letter on your door telling you that access has been forced and provide you with information about who to contact to gain access.

Rechargeable Repairs

We are responsible for most, but not all repairs. There are some repairs that are your responsibility as the resident and this is set out in your tenancy agreement and the repair obligations page of this handbook.

We may carry out these repairs and jobs for you, but will charge you an excess towards the cost of the work. We will always carry out repairs where damage is a result of normal wear and tear.

Find out more
However, there are times when we find it necessary to charge residents for repairs carried out on their property. These types of repairs will usually be as the result of accidents, criminal damage, misuse, neglect or wilful damage.

These may be caused by your own actions, a member of your household, a visitor, or a household pet.

Statutory compensation

In some cases, you have the right to claim compensation under the Right to Repair Scheme. Compensation will be paid if emergency or urgent works which are classed as ‘qualifying repairs,’ costing less than £250 (excluding VAT) are not completed within their target timescales.

If we have not given you reason/s for not completing a qualifying repair (see below) within our target time, and the repair has been reported twice, you are entitled to compensation of £10. We will pay £2 for each extra day that the repair is delayed, up to a maximum of £50.

Find out more
Qualifying repairs include:

  • toilet not flushing (provided there is no other toilet in the home)
  • blocked flue to open fire or boiler
  • any blockages or leaks affecting a sink, bath or basin
  • loose or detached banister or handrail
  • leaks from water or heating pipes where the leak cannot be contained
  • temporary repairs to the roof where there is serious water penetration (access and weather permitting)
  • a dangerous part loss of electrical power or electrical fault

To be eligible for compensation you must have given us access for the work to be assessed or carried out. If you have missed an appointment or have been away you probably will not be entitled to any compensation.

If you are not happy with how we have responded to your repair requests, you can make an official complaint to us, have the situation looked at again (see “A Guide to making a complaint”) or seek the advice from your local council’s Environmental Health Officer.

Environmental Health Officers have powers under the Public Health Acts that require us to carry out certain repairs or take legal action, but you will need advice from a solicitor, law centre or your local Citizens Advice Bureau. We cannot consider an official complaint from you if you have also started legal proceedings against us on the same matter.

Pest management

We will help with the treatment of statutory pests in your home and in communal areas.

Find out more
Statutory pests include:

  • rats
  • mice
  • cockroaches

We will also treat qualifying pests as they can be harmful to your health and property.

Qualifying pests are:

  • tropical ants
  • oak processionary moth caterpillars
  • pharaoh ants
  • ghost ants
  • rodents
  • wasp nests and brown tailed moth caterpillars

All statutory and qualifying pests in internal communal areas will be treated and works will be carried out to reduce the chance of the pest returning. In some circumstances, we will give extra assistance where there is serious damage to property or threat to life or limb.
However, you should contact your local authority for assistance with all non-statutory and non- qualifying pests. These include: foxes, maggots, pigeons, and woodlice.


If you have a garden or use of a garden your tenancy agreement will say whether it is exclusively your own, shared with other residents in the property, or if it is part of the grounds of your estate.

You may make improvements to your garden with our permission.

Find out more
The upkeep and maintenance of your garden is your responsibility. However, we may need to prune trees if there are serious health and safety concerns.

Flood damage

We are not responsible for the actions of our tenants. Unless our repeated failure to fix a property’s physical defect , results in a flood from your neighbour, we will not be legally liable.

For example if your neighbour has fitted a new washing machine  and this causes a flood, it is up to you to persuade them to pay for damage to your belongings unless you have home contents insurance, in which case the insurers should pay.

The same applies if your actions result in damage to a neighbour’s property.

Damp and mould

The most common cause of damp and mould are high levels of humidity within your property, commonly caused by poor ventilation. Please ensure that you ventilate your property by opening windows when cooking or bathing. If your windows have trickle vents, keeping these open will also help.

Do not use your radiators to dry washing as this will cause your property to become damp.

If you have moved into a new-build home

Problems with your home during the first twelve months

The ‘defects period’ is typically the twelve months following the formal handover of the scheme from the builder to us.

It is not twelve months from the date you move into your new home.

During the defects period, the builder remains liable for any faults or problems with the structure of the building, the communal fixtures and fittings and any faults or structural / mechanical problems inside your homes.

Find out more
If you discover a fault or problem during the defects period, you should report it to us on 0300 123 3456.

We will ask the builder to attend to put the matter right, and can give you information on when the defect will be completed.

If your home is not managed by Family Mosaic, then you must contact your External Managing Agent (EMA) to arrange for your repair to be carried out.

We will help chase the EMA if they fail to act adequately.

For defects inside your home, you will be asked to provide access to your home to make sure these can be resolved as quickly as possible. However, some non-urgent defects will be resolved at the end of the defects period.

If more than one subcontractor is required to attend, this could mean multiple visits, unless one mutually convenient date can be arranged.

When the defects period is due to expire, we will write to you to ask if there are any outstanding issues you would like to report.

In some cases, where there are issues, we will arrange for a formal inspection with the builder. It is important that you reply to the end of defects letter.

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing