You can rest assured that your home with us is safe.

From the day you move in, you are protected in two main ways for damage to your home:

  • National House Builders Council (NHBC) insurance, for newly built homes
  • buildings insurance taken out on your behalf by Family Mosaic

On this page you can find more information about your rights and what you can expect.

Please note that this information on this page is for guidance only: please refer to your insurance policy for more detailed and up-to-date guidance.

What does NHBC insurance cover?

The builder registers your new home with the NHBC and for the first two years after the builder has handed it over to Family Mosaic, the builder is responsible for loss or damage to the property as a result of it not being built to the standard agreed with the NHBC.

Find out more

This is in addition to the builder’s liability for putting right any defects that appear in the first year (see below). If the builder does not respond, then the NHBC will intervene.

Most of the homes we build are covered by this insurance. We do, however, occasionally use insurance with different terms – please check your policy documents for further information.

For the next seven years – from year three to year ten – the NHBC covers damage resulting from defects in the structure of the property. This includes the builder’s failure to comply with building regulations. There is an excess of £650 per claim.

What does buildings insurance cover?

You should have a copy of your lease, which is a private contract between you and your landlord, setting out the rights and duties of both the landlord and the leaseholder.

Find out more

Please make sure you’ve got a copy of your lease: it’s important. If you’ve lost it, please contact us: there will be a small fee for this service.

Your lease allows you to occupy the property for a set number of years (this is called your lease term). Most owner occupiers have long leases of 99 or 125 years. This reduces over time, from the date the lease was first granted. The outstanding term will depend on what was left on the lease when you took it over.

In the event of any query, you should first refer to the lease, preferably with professional assistance. We will always ensure that the management of your property, tenancy and rent or service charge follows the terms of the lease.


In a newly built property, the contractor is responsible for any defects in design or construction of the building for a period of time, usually one year after the date of handover.

Find out more

Handover takes place when Family Mosaic takes the building from the builder, having agreed that the builder has fulfilled the obligations in the building contract.

Please note that the builder’s liability does not run from a year after you move in.

In a newly built property, defects should be reported to us immediately by calling us on 0300 123 2209.

How do I claim?

If the damage is outside your home, call us on 0300 123 2209.

Find out more

We will then decide whether the problem should be dealt with as a repair, or whether to make a claim through one of the insurance policies.

If the damage is inside your home, report it to the building insurers directly to avoid delays in processing your claim.

If they think it should be handled by the NHBC, they will pass the claim on to them.

When you buy your home, you will have received information about your building insurer.

If you can’t find this, call us on 0300 123 2209.

Who pays the excess?

Your lease will probably be for a term of 99 or 125 years. Once there are 80 years or less remaining, it is known as short. When a lease becomes short, it affects the value of that lease, and may create difficulties if you want to sell or re-mortgage.

Find out more

If you own 100% of your home, then you have a statutory right to extend your lease.

If you own a share in your home, then it is not a statutory right, and you will need to apply to us for this extension. This is an informal process, but to qualify, you must satisfy two conditions:

  • the existing lease must be for an original term exceeding 21 years (it doesn’t matter how much of the term is left)
  • the leaseholder needs to have owner the property for two years

If you satisfy these conditions, then you have the right to be granted a new lease for an additional term of 90 years at peppercorn rent.

You can extend your lease in two ways (speak with your legal advisor to find the best option for you):

  • informal (for outright and shared ownership leaseholders): this may be quicker and less expensive.
  • formal (for outright leaseholders only): this is prescribed by law. To continue by this route, you will need to serve a statutory notice under section 42 of the Leasehold Reform Act 1993.

For more information, please read our we can help with lease extensions page on our sales website.

Alternatively, you can call us on 0300 123 3456 for more information, or email us

Contents insurance

Please remember, it’s your responsibility to insure the contents of your home. You should take out a policy that is specific to your home. So, for example, if you live in a block of flats, make sure your policy covers against damage and loss caused by a leak from the leaseholder or person living above you.

Find out more

Family Mosaic supports the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme arranged by the National Housing Federation. The scheme is under the management of the Brokers (THISTLE Insurance Services) and risks are underwritten by the insurers (Allianz Insurance Plc.). For more information, brokers can be contacted on 0845 337 2463 or 01628 586 189. For a digital copy of the application form, please click here.

If you’re a shared owner, then you will have to inform us if you’re thinking of selling your home. You will then have to pay for a valuation to be undertaken by an independent surveyor, who we instruct on your behalf.

Once you’ve confirmed that you’re happy with the valuation, then we will market the property to potential shared owners. You will also need to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) from an EPC provider before we can market your property.

We will charge you 1.5% of the share value as commission for selling your home ownership share, which is very competitive compared with estate agents.

If, after two months, we have not been able to find another shared owner, then you will be free to sell the property on the open market.

Other things to note

  • Always comply with any health and safety regulations that are brought to your attention
  • Always minimise the risk and take steps to avoid further loss: if there’s water coming in to your home, for example, make sure you take reasonable steps to stop it
  • Report any crime to the police and get a crime reference number
  • Contact us or the insurance company as soon as possible
  • Don’t arrange for permanent repairs without the insurer’s permission
  • The policy is subject to the relevant excess for each and every claim

Customer Care

0300 123 2209


Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing