Leaseholder information

Home » Resident services » Leaseholder information

All you need to know about being a leaseholder with Family Mosaic.

It is important that you are aware about the information below.

If you need further information, please contact our Customer Care on 0300 123 2209.

The line is open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and from 9am to 1pm on Saturday. If you would prefer to contact us by email, please email us at

Managing your new build home

If your home is a newly built home, then the New Homes Manager will manage your property for the first 12 months of its life.

Find out more

They will work with you while you settle in and ensure the property is managed to a high standard.

You will be provided with individual contact details for your New Homes Manager when you move in.

After one year, the property will be managed by a Neighbourhood Manager. We will tell you who this is, and you can contact them through our Customer Care Line on 0300 123 2209.

Managing existing properties

If you’ve bought an existing Family Mosaic property, then it will be managed by a Neighbourhood Manager.

Find out more

They’re responsible for monitoring communal services that are delivered to your development.

The setting and administration of your service charge is managed by our Service Charge Team.

Your lease

You should have a copy of your lease, which is a private contract between you and your landlord, setting out the rights and duties of both the landlord and the leaseholder.

Find out more

Please make sure you’ve got a copy of your lease: it’s important. If you’ve lost it, please contact us: there will be a small fee for this service.

Your lease allows you to occupy the property for a set number of years (this is called your lease term). Most owner occupiers have long leases of 99 or 125 years. This reduces over time, from the date the lease was first granted. The outstanding term will depend on what was left on the lease when you took it over.

In the event of any query, you should first refer to the lease, preferably with professional assistance. We will always ensure that the management of your property, tenancy and rent or service charge follows the terms of the lease.

Repairs and maintenance

The terms of the lease will set out the responsibilities of your building.

Find out more

If you’ve bought a flat where we own the freehold, a common arrangement is that we are responsible for keeping the structure in good repair, maintaining and cleaning any common parts. We will then recover these, and any other costs, through the service charge. You will be responsible for the internal decoration and repair of your flat.

On developments where we don’t hold the freehold, the freeholder may employ a managing agent to carry out these management duties.

If you’ve bought a house, you’ll be responsible for carrying out all the repairs.

Not all leases are the same, however, so you should consult your lease to work out your own obligations.


If you are a Family Mosaic leaseholder owning 100% of your lease you may be permitted to sublet your property.

Find out more

Please see our information leaflet will make clear how to find out if you are able to do so and the steps to take to get permission from Family Mosaic.

Administrative charges

Most of the services we provide incur an administration fee for the work involved, for example, in subletting, copying of leases and selling your home.

Find out more

These will be explained in any information we send you about the work.


If you breach the terms of your lease, we have the right to forfeit the lease and recover possession of the property.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I change the terms of my lease?
You can vary any terms of your lease by agreement with us. In addition, you have the right to appeal to a leasehold valuation tribunal on specific grounds, so that you can vary your lease.
Can I put up a satellite dish?
We do not allow individual satellite dishes to be put up on blocks of flats, because this often breaches planning conditions, can be unsightly and can cause damage to the building. Newer developments often have a communal dish provided, or a service provider will normally be prepared to erect a communal system if a number of leaseholders want this. If you do put up a satellite dish, you will be charged for the costs of our removing it.
How do I comment on the cleaning of communal areas?
Call us on 0300 123 2209 – or speak with the contractor directly. We will give you a copy of the cleaning specification they are working to, so that you know what you’re paying for. Generally, internal parts and refuse areas are cleaned weekly, while gardening is carried out fortnightly from May to October. You’re welcome to come with us when we inspect the estate: we’ll also display a copy of our inspection report on the communal notice board.
How can I become involved in the management of my home?
We encourage you to set up a Residents Association within your scheme, or join an existing association. We’ve also set up a leasehold forum, so you can feedback your comments to us directly. Call us on 0300 123 2209 for further information.
How can I buy more shares in my home?
Buying more shares in your home is called staircasing: after you’ve bought your initial share, you can then buy further shares called tranches. The minimum tranche you can buy is 10%. You can usually buy up to 100% of your home.
Can I sublet my home?
If you’re a shared owner, you would not normally be able to sublet your home, unless you have compelling social reasons, such as having to relocate because of your job.


If you own your property, however, then you’re able to sublet your home, unless it states otherwise in your leasehold agreement. You will have to give us a contact address whilst you are not living there. You will remain responsible for paying relevant charges for your property: and if your tenant causes nuisance, then you will be responsible and could lose your home.

Can I improve my home?
We want to give you as much freedom as possible to change your home, but we need to make sure that any changes you make won’t have negative implications for other owners, or affect the structure of the building. You will need to get our written agreement when you carrying out any of the following improvements:


  • extensions
  • conversions
  • changing windows and external doors
  • anything requiring scaffolding or access to communal facilities
  • anything that affects the structure of your home
Can I leave my bicycle or pushchair on communal landings?
The short answer is no: communal hallways and landings have to be kept clear at all times because they are a means of escape in case of fire. If anything is left in the hallway, we will ask you to remove it: if you don’t, then we will dispose of it and may incur costs as a result.
Can you provide me with a copy of my lease?
Your solicitor should provide you with a copy of your lease when you complete the purchase of your property. If you’ve lost this, or did not originally receive one, we can help you with a replacement. There will be a charge for this service.

Customer Care

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing