Many people require, or will require, some kind of adaptation to their home at some stage in their life.

Family Mosaic aims to provide sustainable homes for their residents and will assist those who require adjustments or additions to standard fixtures and fittings.

All aids & adaptations works undertaken by Family Mosaic will only be carried out as a result of an assessment by an Occupational Therapist (OT), Doctor or Support Worker to determine their eligibility. If the resident does not have an OT referral, they will be advised to contact their Local Authority as an assessment of their disability is required.

Adaptations are split into two categories – minor and major. These distinctions are based on the nature of the work required.

Minor adaptations (typically under £500) include ramps, handrails, grab rails, lever taps and intercom systems. When we receive a referral we will arrange for our contractors to carry out the works.

Major adaptations (over £500) require more extensive and complex work and include the installation of stair lifts, wet room, level access shower, bathroom and kitchen conversion and access alterations. When we receive a referral from an Occupational Therapist, we will arrange for a feasibility assessment with a Home Improvement Agency (HIA) to be carried out at your home. The feasibility assessment will try to establish if the adaptation works are suitable for you, if a move to more suitable accommodation would be better, check the layout and structure of the property and the estimated cost of the adaptation works.

Following the feasibility assessment, the Home Improvement Agency (HIA) will report back their findings and complete a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) application with you and send this to the Local Authority. A DFG is a “means tested” grant available through the Local Authority that takes into consideration the income and capital of the disabled person, their spouse or partner (the relevant persons’ average weekly income, taking into account any savings above a certain limit which is then set against an assessment of basic needs to reflect their outgoings).

If the relevant person’s resources are less than the assessment, then they will not normally need to contribute to the cost of the works.

If the disabled person is in receipt of income support, job seeker’s allowance or a guaranteed state pension credit, they will not normally have to make a contribution, but you should not assume that you will automatically qualify for a grant.

If a resident does not meet the Local Authority’s criteria, then you may be refused grant funding for the works.

All cases are treated individually, and where DFG has been rejected, we will take into consideration all factors in relation to the adaptation to determine whether we can pay for the works ourselves.

If the DFG is approved by the Local Authority, arrangements will be made with the nominated HIA and you to carry out the adaptations.

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing

Improving health, wealth and wellbeing through housing